1: Penalty Kick
Shoulders parallel with touch-line. Arm angled up, pointing towards non-offending
2: Free Kick
Shoulders parallel with touch-line. Arm bent square at elbow, upper arm pointing
towards non-offending team.
3. Try and Penalty Try
Referee's back to dead-ball line. Arm raised vertically.
Arm outstretched, waist high, towards non-offending team, for a period of approximately
5. Scrum awarded
Shoulders parallel with touch-line. Arm horizontal pointing towards team to
throw in the ball.
6. Froming a scrum
Elbows bent, hands above head fingers touching.
7. Throw forward / forward pass
Hands gesture as if passing an imaginary ball forward.
Arm out-stretched with open hand above head, and moves backwards and forwards.
9. Not releasing the ball immediately after a tackle
Both hands are close to the chest, as if holding an imaginary ball.
10. Tackler not releasing tackled player
Arms brought together as if grasping a player and then opening as if releasing
11. Tackler or tackled player not rolling away
A circular movement with the finger and arm moving away from the body.
12. Entering tackle from the wrong direction
Arm held horizontal then sweep of the arm in a semi-circle.
13. Voluntarily falling over a player
Curved arm makes gesture to imitate action of falling player. Signal is made
in direction in which offending player fell.
14. Diving to ground near tackle
Straight arm gesture, pointing downwards to imitate diving action.
Unplayable ball at ruck or tackle
of scrum to team moving forward at time
of stoppage. Shoulders parallel with the
touch line, arm horizontal pointing towards
the team to throw in the ball, then pointing
the arm and hand towards the other team's
goal line whilst moving it backwards and
Unplayable ball in maul
out to award scrummage to side not in possession
at maul commencement. Other arm out as if
signalling advantage and then swing it across
body with hand ending on opposite shoulder.
17. Joining a ruck or maul in front of the back foot and on the side
The hand and arm are held horizontally moving sideways.
18. Voluntarily collapsing a ruck or maul
Both arms at shoulder height as if bound around opponent. Upper body is lowered
and twisted as if pulling down opponent who is on top.
19. Prop pulling down opponent
Clenched fist, and arm bent. Gesture imitates pulling opponent down
20 Prop pulling opponent on
Clenched fist, and arm straight, at shoulder height. Gesture imitates pulling
21. Wheeling scrum more than 90 degrees
Rotating index finger, above the head.
22. Foot-up by a front row player
Foot raised, foot touched.
23. Throw-in at scrum not straight
Hands at knee level imitating action of throw-in not straight.
24. Failure to bind fully
One arm out-stretched as if binding. Other hand moves up and down arm to indicate
the extent of a full bind.
25. Handling ball in ruck or scrum
Hand at ground level, making sweeping action, as if handling the ball.
26. Throw-in at lineout not straight
Shoulders parallel with touch-line. Hand above head indicates the path of the
ball, not straight.
27. Closing gaps in lineout
Both hands at eye level, pointing up, palms inward. Hands meet in squeezing
28. Barging in lineout
Arm horizontal, elbow pointing out. Arm and shoulder move outwards as if barging
29. Leaning on player in lineout
Arm horizontal, bent at elbow, palm down. Downward gesture.
30. Pushing opponent in lineout
Both hands at shoulder level, with palms outward, making pushing gesture.
31. Early lifting and lifting in lineout
Both fists clenched in front, at waist level, making lifting gesture.
32. Off-side at lineout
Hand and arm move horizontally across chest, towards offence.
33. Obstruction in general play
Arms crossed in front of chest at right angles to each other, like open scissors.
34. Off-side at scrum, ruck or maul
Shoulders parallel with touch-line. Arm hanging straight down, swings in arc
along off-side line.
35. Off-side. Choice: Penalty or scrum
One arm as for penalty kick. Other arm points to place where scrum may be taken
instead of kick..
36. Off-side under 10m Law or not 10m at penalty or free kick
Both hands held open above head.
37. High tackle(Foul Play)
Hand moves horizontally in front of neck.
38. Stamping (Foul Play: illegal use of boot)
Stamping action or similar gesture to indicate the offence.
39. Punching (Foul Play)
Clenched fist punches open palm.
40. Dissent (disputing referee's decision)
Outstretched arm with hand opening and closing to imitate talking.
41. Award of drop-out on 22m line
Arm points to centre of 22 metre line.
42. Ball held up in the in-goal area
Space between hands indicates that ball was not grounded.
43. Physio needed
One arm raised indicates physio is needed for injured player.
44. Doctor needed
Both arms raised above head indicates a doctor is needed for injured player.
45. Bleeding wound
Arms crossed above head indicates player has bleeding injury and may be temporarily
Timekeeper to start and stop watch
held up in air and whistle blown when watch
should be stopped or started.