Rugby Drill Demonstration
- Using cones, mark out a 15 x 15 meter grid or dimond.
- Divide your players into groups of 4/5.
- Allocate one group of players, with one ball, to each training area.
- Have enough training areas to keep all of your players as busy and active as possible.
- Tell your players the following.....
- The first player picks the ball up at the cone passes the ball to the next player, they then run around the back to receive the ball from the last player who puts the ball down by the cone and picks it up and stars the passing again.
- Each player runs around the back to the next side of the grid to receive and pass the ball on.
- The players attack all the sides of the grid.
- Players loop around the back, not in front of the attack.
Don't feel that you have to focus on all of the following coaching points, you may have your own. Select the points that most closely match your overall training and session goals.
Have three defenders, 10 meters back, facing the first three attackers, leaving position four open. This will put pressure on the first three attack and will force quick hands. The defence can move forward and back, but they must leave the last position open.